IGNORED

newb question

phil

started doing some research on 240z's and absolutely fell in love with the car. the only thing that sux is that i have been searching for a few months now and can't find any in my price range. although i have seen alot of 260z's for sale. can anyone tell me if there are anyreal differences between the two cars.

thanks in advance

phil

Phil,

The differences depend on how far you want to look....

If you simply like the look of the old zed's go for a 260, they are generally cheaper and more common. I don't know how much you know obout the cars so forgive me if I dumb it down too much.

The 260 has a bigger engine (2600 cc)but I believe that the U.S. model was strangled with emmission controls and has no more power than the 240 (2400 cc). A common modification is to fit 240 carbs to a 260.

There are minor cosmetic differences inside and out (dash/console/bumpers/tail lights etc)

The 260 was the first model to have factory air conditioning and an auto trans, also the gearbox was upgraded from 4 to 5 speed. The 260 was also the first with an optional four seater (2+2) which is 300mm (12 inches) longer, you can tell by the space between the door and the rear gaurd, they also have a different roof line. The two seaters handle better than the longer model (they are also lighter).

The main reason I believe that 240's have the stronger following is because thay were the original model, without the emission restrictions. Plenty of guys prefer the look of the dash and body of the older Z, I personally don't care, they both look great.

In the US the 260 was offered only one year. And it was offered in a 2+2 and a 2 seater. The automatic trans was offered form the factory starting with the '71 240 . In '73 it was the start of the strict emission standards here in the states and caused Datsun to come up with crappy carberaters and lower compression. In '74 they stroked the engine and with the longer stroke came up with the 260 engine with the emissions carb. Most people replace the carbs with earlier SUs from '70---'72 units but keep the stock manifold. The 260 is a little heavier than privious cars. For the most part the cars are the same as a 240 Things like bumpers and steering wheel are different tail lights are a little different , things like this. One thing about the Zs is that the engines heads transmissions and differentials are all interchangeable as well as a ton of other things up to about '75 the 280s started with the '75 and they are all fuelinjected. Hope this helps . try this site for information geocities.com/zgarage2001/engine.html Gary

Here are some other interesting points about the 260.

Although the 240 was produced from 1970 to 1973; and the 260 was produced only in 1974 the number of vehicles manufactured by Nissan is about equal for both models. The Z car was growing in popularity over the four years the 240 was produced and peaked in 1974. This is confirmed by the number of cars produced per year. I wish I had the numbers to quote; I'm going by memory.

As with any car, minor improvements are made throughout the production as the manufacturer finds out what works and what doesn't with any given design. In my opinion the quality of the product also peaked in 1974. Nissan figured out how to do it right by then. After 1974 the quality and "specialness" of the Z car declined. Just look at any 280z on a used car lot and you can see there is no comparison to the 240 or the 260.

Another fact about the 260 is that they are heavier than the 240. The two major reason are: the metal on the 260 is thicker than the metal on the 240, and the engine is bigger. Again I don't have the exact numbers to quote. Some people like the lightness of the 240, but I think the combination of greater horsepower on the 260 and the stiffer unibody created by the thicker metal make a better automobile. One reason there are more 260s is, I think, they didn't rust out as quickly as the 240s.

So, lets review why the 260 is better IMHO:

1.) You get the styling of the 240 (especially in what is refered to the early 260s with the "thin bumbers")

2.) Most 260s have already had the major flaw removed: the evil-government-mandated emission control carbs.

3.) Larger, more horsepower engine.

4.) Stiffer, thicker unibody with more rust-through protection.

5.) Lower price because of marketplace realities.

One other difference: the 260 introduced the electronic ignition module.

I think this is superior to the mechanical points and condensers of the 240. Face it, 1974 was the peak of automotive engineering genius.

These are just my opinions, and I'm also thinking of selling my 260.

thanks for all of the information guys. i think i may swing more towards the 260 now.

marshall - if you did sell your 260 how much would you look to get and what kind of condition is it in? i'm not really looking to purchase for a few months yet. gotta take care of other bills first...

Hi Phil... kinda hard finding z's unrusted around the greatlakes... but there are a few... there is a guy in Algonquin IL. selling a 260z on another sight.. guessing thats about 2 1/2 hours or so from you ... I haven't seen the car but if u want to give him a call.. here's his number 847-485-5085 .. he's asking 2750.00 or best offer....

Hi Phil... kinda hard finding z's unrusted around the greatlakes... but there are a few... there is a guy in Algonquin IL. selling a 260z on another sight.. guessing thats about 2 1/2 hours or so from you ... I haven't seen the car but if u want to give him a call.. here's his number 847-485-5085 .. he's asking 2750.00 or best offer....

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking for a new car also. I found a guy that rebuilds Z's on his free time and he has like 6 on his hands right now. I think im going to take him up on the 240 hes selling because its got the 280 engine in it, totally rebuilt. Hes asking 2500. They only rust it has is on the kicker panel or whatever its called, kinda new to the car world, LOL. Tell me what ya think guy's.