IGNORED

Power Windows and Relays

taggedd

I just got my old Z back from my father. YEAH. It has one small problem that I need to work out. The power windows don't seem to work.

My Chilton's auto manual shows the relay on the passenger side on by the outside panel by the passenger's feet. All that I find there is the fuse box.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem? There seems to be no power going to the windows at all.

Tim.

As with anything electirical you have to trace the wires back and use a volt meter to find the culprit. Either a relay a fuse a connection or a wire. It's a process of elemination. Start at the fuse box and see if it's getting power for your windows. By the way what year is your Z?

It is a 280zx - 1983. There is no fuse associated with it. According to the manual it's a "breaker", but as with all things, it doesn't tell where it's located.

Thanks for all your help.

By the way, did you have much rust on your old Z?

Tim.

Originally posted by taggedd

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Not making fun of you Tim. :classic: Original series Z cars are notorious for rust. Search these forums for the word "Rust", and you'll come up with many, many discussions of rust problems, from major to minor.

And the vast majority of us here don't have ZX's so we don't know anything about power windows, since the original series Z's didn't have them. There are a few ZX owners here. Maybe one of them knows.

Good luck!

Originally posted by taggedd

Actually I guess I got lucky. The only bad rust I had was at the end of the frame rails as you can see in my gallery. In other places (rear tail light area) there was only surface rust that cleaned up real easy.

I have surface body rust with no problem. My only real problem is that I have interior rust in the rear floor under the hatch due to a leak. And a 6X6 under the passenger seat due to a leaking T-top. I've got to get some sheet metal welded in.

I'll check out the pics. Would be interested.

Tim.