IGNORED

Zx 5 speed in a 74 260x

Xargon321

was looking at a 5 speed swap on my 74 260z and was wondering if the 79-83 zx tranny would work without cutting or is it 70-78 needs to be cut to work? i heard about useing a custom shifter is there any kits avaible if it does have to be modded?

and would it be worth mabey just swaping in a z 5 speed?

A five speed swap is the way to go. Its like adding an overdrive to your car. The first four speeds are pretty much the same. If you want to know what the exact ratio is then do a search for gear ratios and you will find what you need.

As to the modifiacations, you might have to alter (bend) the shifter. Some will hit the transmission tunnel. I'm not sure which year shifter will provide you with the required clearance but you can always modify.

Oh yea, everything is a direct bolt on. Be safe.

Originally posted by drunkenmaster

the 260z 5 speed is a closer ratio and more desirable box IMHO. Here a good 260Z box will go for 2 to 3 times as much as a 280zx box.

Yes It would be great, but we (the North American Market) didn't get that box. Now, if you guys Downunder would send us your spares....LOL

Yea it's not too bad of a job, but I cheated by having a buddy with an Auto shop with a lift I could borrow!

Disconnect the Battery

Remove the starter

Remove the console, body boot and shifter

Break and loosen (don't remove) the top bolts on the bell housing

Raise the lift

Drain the 4 speed throughly.

Release the exhaust pipe attachments to the point where you can pull it out of your way or drop it completely.

Release the driveshaft and the rear yoke and remove it.

--Excelent opertunity to replace the diff mount--

Remove the clutch cylinder.

Prepare a lift stand/jack stand with 2X4 wood pad for rear of oil pan. if you can, adjust the stand to accept some of the weight now, if not, get it as close as possible.

Remove the transmission crossmember. If you got the jack stad close enough, the weight will be supported before the bolts are all the way out.

Remove the speedo cable, reverse light wires and the idle switch wires. (there was no provission of the idle swith on my 5 speed. no big deal, my seat belt buzzer no longer works.)

Loosen the remaining bell housing bolts, remove them all, except for the lower left bolt, which should be loose to the last 2 turns.

Smack the tailshaft with a plastic hammer to break the adheasions between the bell housing and block plate.

Pull back and lower the tranny (watch out there's still some fluid in it, that will pour from the tailshaft! if you have a spare tailshaft you can use it as a plug).

Swap the four speed fork to the new tranny. New throw-out bearing is very recommened!

Swap the speedo gear drive.

New clutch components are very recommended at this point!

New tail shaft seal is recommended.

Reinstall in reverse order.

3 1/2 hours

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I dropped the engine and 5 spd tx from a zx into my 73, and had a problem with the shifter hitting the forward edge of the shifter opening. I simply took the shift lever from my old 4X and plugged it in in place of the 5X shift lever...WA LA.....works great!