IGNORED

Clunking in rear right wheel

omega Z

Help! I have a 1971 240Z with a 5 speed transmission.I heard this clunking noise coming from the right wheel it become very loud and then car just stopped and I could put it in gear but the car wouldn't move. When i pushed the car you can still hear the clunking sound, it sound like something is broken. Has any had this problem? Does any one know what the problem is? Help!!

How hi is up ? If the clunking has gotten to the point of a lock up . I would think that it would be obvious as to what is the trouble. Did you blow the differential ? Did one or more u-joint on the rear axels let go ?

Thanks for reponding. The wheel didnot lock up, I can turn the wheel and the clinking sounds as if its coming from in side the rear wheel.I think it may be the axle, but I'm not sure. I had the u-joints replaced a couple of years ago. I can shift in to all 5 gears.What do you think?

Usually a broken axle will make the wheel sit funny.You may have just snapped a spring in your brakes that is jamming up the drum.If you jack the car from the middle and turn the wheel the other should move also.That would test your axle.

Daniel: Thanks for the information I will check that out. One more thing that you probably need to know, although I can shift into any of the 5 gears the car will not move. Could that still be a problem with the brake spring?

Once the spring breaks and the shoes seperate and the part in your wheel cylinder that has the adjuster will fall out into the drum.When it happened to me it made the cluck until it locked the wheel because it was jammed.If your wheel is turning free that doesn't sound like it.Does the clutch act OK? Does the car bog down when you let the clutch out?Do the brakes fell correct?If they came apart they will blow the piston from the wheel cyl and you'll have brake fluid leaking from the wheel,not to mention poor brakes.

When you have the car started and in gear and let off the clutch, does the engine bog and die?

Start by jacking both sides of the rear of the car and placing safely on jack stands. Try turning each wheel by hand and inspecting the half-shafts underneath. This should tell you pretty much where the problem is.