IGNORED

Advice for new Daily Driver??...

ramsesosirus

My DD 99 Tahoe's transmission broke on Tuesday.  It's a 4L60e, and from what I've read, it broke the reaction sun shell (common), resulting in a loss of R, 2, and 4.  I literally JUST put a new water pump and radiator in last week.  To fix this, I'm looking at around $2000... probably too much to put into an 18 year old car with some other issues, and 215,000 miles.  Actually that is a lot of miles to get from an auto trans.

Any advice on reliable DD's? I would like a truck of some sort.  In the past I've owned:  91 Corsica, 96 Cougar, 85 Prelude, 91 S10, 87 Monte SS, 3 90's Camrys, the Z of course,  and then this 99 Tahoe.

My budget is about the same as the repair, $2000-3000, which isn't much I know.  But the most I've ever paid for a car was $5000 for this Tahoe 3 years ago.  $ is tight since I am moving in 2 weeks.

We get pretty bad winters around here sometimes (Nebraska), this Tahoe was my first with 4 wheel drive, and it was awesome!  I've driven all kinds of cars in the snow:  FWD autos, FWD stick shift, RWD autos, RWD stick shift, etc...  

I can fix almost anything myself, but the trans is kind of where I draw the line, if it were the Z I'd spend the time rebuilding it, but I need a vehicle since I am moving into a new apartment in 2 weeks.  I took apart an old TH350 from the Monte one time, just for fun.  They are pretty complex, but I'm sure I could do the Z's if I had time and went slow.

Thanks!

Edited by ramsesosirus