IGNORED

Removing 5-speed from 240

MDyer

I'm getting ready to remove a 5-speed from a new-to-me 73 240; for transplant in my 77 280.

I have a Haynes manual, and am curious if there are additional hints to supplement the manual (or conversely, any errors in the Haynes)?

wish me luck....

Mike

Make sure you drain the tranny before removal.Also have a bucket and rag.Once the driveshaft is removed it will leak.When you tilt it down it will pour.Also wrap something around the clutch slave cylinder so it won't fall apart.And DONT touch the clutch pedal or it will blast the parts from the slave cyl.Also this is an excellent time to replace the rear main engine seal and the rear tranny seal.

ive found the best way after removing mine four times in 6 months is to place the whole car high up on jackstands, put a slidable hydraulic jack under the box and undoe the gearbox mounts. after draining the box and undoing the tailshaft and other bits (remember the middle console!) wriggle and slide the box backwards and lower it to the floor. make sure the box is balanced well otherwise it will fall off the jack and break your bones!