IGNORED

76 280Z Compressor alternative

WattTheHeli

After 39 years of dutiful service my A/C compressor has frozen. I actually had the hood up watching the motor idle as it happened. I saw a brief post on a forum that alluded to a 300ZX compressor fitting the 280Z but the post was left unfinished. Is there a swap from another year model I can use?

The 1981-85 Maxima one will bolt on to your 280Z. I’ve got one on my 260Z.  It is larger in capacity and the lack of an oil sump means less oil is needed.

The 280ZX/Z31 will also fit but the inlet (S) and outlet (D) fittings are reversed so you would need custom hoses to use it.  Also the later Z31’s used a serpentine belt instead of a V-groove belt.

• Like 1

Is the Maxima Compressor R12 or R134?

The government mandated changeover to R134a was 1994.  However, Nissan was one of the first to switch with some 1993 models using R-134a.

The 1981-85 Maxima would have used R12 refrigerant.

Edited by zcarnut