IGNORED

Hello from Texas - 71' 240Z

The z fired up very easy considering it hasn't run since 95 or so according to PO. As expected I now have multiple issues to contend with.

Pulled the plugs and soaked the cylinders and turned it over by had all seemed to move easily and let it set overnight. Changed the oil added coolant, plugs, wires, cap/rotor and fuel and it fired right up to my relief. I was able to start it up a few times with no pumping etc.

Issues . . .

- Seemed to be running hot and not circulating. Pulled the housing off and the hose part was 1/3 corroded away and I cracked a big chuck off pulling it off. Not the highest quality aluminum or whatever . . . The thermostat was locked and froze in place. replacements ordered

- Repaired, Filled again and now the radiator leaks like crazy from some where along the bottom inner area. Off to the radiator shop. The owner didn't think he could reliably repair it and would try but offers no warranty.

Ordered a non oem one . . . I will try to fix this one eventually, but guess Ill have a backup.

- carbs leaking through overflow, cleaned out float bowls, problem solved. Thought it would be a good idea to clean main jets and inspect he carb. While removing main dome piece I dropped the inner piece and bent the metering rod. First time to open this type of carb, Nice . . . I was able to straighten it out by turning it, it needs replacement. Oh the joys of auto restoration.

- Decided to mount my freshly refurbished tank while waiting on parts and quickly realized that the vent lines from the tank need to be replaced (hard as rocks). The vapor recovery system is . . . well of a unique design, probably more akin to aircraft but hey what can you do. I sourced lines locally, they are non oem (braided) but fuel compatible and way better than the old ones. Now it is time to repair "the octopus" as my friend now calls it.

One - This car does not have a radio but a little tray where it would go. But in the rear I have the power antenna and 1 rotted out speaker. I inspected the dash and don't see evidence of one. hmmm

Second - The car has ac with a compressor and temp adjustment knob mounted below the dash. I do not have the condenser though but the rest of the systems is in place and had been capped off fairly well. I wonder if this system can be rebuilt?

So no radio but has A/C, seems a bit odd to me?

• 2 weeks later...

There are accounts of radio delete Z's but you would have to post up a picture of what the opening looks like. Since it has a power antenna and 1 speaker in the back it had a radio at one time.

I bet the switch below the dash sits on a little bezel and says ARA on it. If it doesn't it sounds like you have the remnants of an aftermarket A/C system which was a common dealer install. What does your compressor look like and where is it mounted? Pictures are always good!

• 1 year later...

The project has been on hold for a good while but Im finally getting back into it!

The struts need to be rebuilt as the shocks are completetly colapsed. I pulled the fender to inspect what the chassis looks like and its also alot easier to get to the strut.

post-29322-0-77990300-1441767989_thumb.j

post-29322-0-99364300-1441768017_thumb.j

There is floor jack damage here on the drivers floor board that needs attention. I really think it should be brought to bare metal to see what surprises could be hiding in there We'll see. Oh yeah, Spring compressors are now my new worst enemy. . . Geez

Can anyone riddle me this: Why are all of my old pics showing up as just links, they haven't been moved or anything ???

post-29322-0-11848600-1441769086_thumb.j

Edited by hwyman456

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see some updates Hwyman!  On the floor board body filler cover up, you won't know what is under there until you remove it.  You have the right plan, take it back down to bare metal, see what you have (or don't have) and go from there.  With the fenders off your job will be easier so now is the time to do it right.  Post up your findings in the body and paint section and I am sure others can give you guidance.

On your picture issue, it looks like your are posting your links as true active links.  When I prepare my posts I type everything up in a Word document first.  Once I copy and paste my picture links to the Word doc they turn blue and become active.  I have to go back and right click on them, click on Remove Hyperlink, and then they are text again.  Then I copy and paste everything in to my thread using the "More Reply Options" so I have the opportunity to preview the post before submitting it.  Let me know if that helps.

Doing a test for you. I simply copy and pasted the IMG URL that starts with "[url="  

I think you were originally copy and pasting the HTML URL link which starts with the "<a href=" in front of it.  There is also a random URL end tag after the picture.  That will not be there when you just copy and paste the IMG URL.  I think it is there because I have had to edit this multiple times so the website would not pick up on the URL info I was listing above.

IMG_0312afterinitialcleaning_zpsf612292f

Edited by Hardway