IGNORED

72 240 Automatic

Dev

I'm currently running a 3spd auto in my 260Z. I can't say that it is not reliable. But in terms of performance it makes my Z a lot slower than it should be both in terms of acceleration and top end. It also makes it harder to get the power on quickly after exiting a corner. I'm not surprised they sold way more manuals than autos.

I already have a 5 speed manual in my garage and will be converting my Z as soon as I finish landscaping my garden (long story). Apparently putting in the clutch pedal is a bloody annoying - no doubt I'll find out soon enough.

The clutch pedal isn't that bad, just involving. It took me half a day as I had to replace the pedal box as well due to what appeared to be old disabled-driver mods making it impossible to just change the pedals of my existing box.

So my car wasn't off the road for a long time I changed the pedal box one morning and then drove around with a superfluous clutch pedal for few months until I found time to change the gearbox (I found time when the old autobox decided it liked neutral better than any other gear).

Just curious, is the peddle box the same in an auto and a stick? Obviously, I have never seen the interior on an automatic 240Z. My friend has one as a parts car but he already removed and trashed the peddle box. I can tell the firewall is the same you just need to punch out and add the clutch master cylinder.

Thanks!