IGNORED

Distributor question/issues

ElCimino

Thanks Blue! This explains a lot. I will adjust this ASAP. (Probably Tuesday) Thanks for all the pictures and information. I'll post results once the adjustment is complete. I got my car as a toy/project in February and the ignition has never seemed right. Just because I'm curious is this something caused by human error or is it something that changes over time from engine wear? Knowing the po of my car I'm guessing human error.

No worries... these are tough cars and have sustained worse abuse than a mis-clocked distributor! You will enjoy more power after tuesday!

btw when your distributor is at its correct advance, your car will idle faster so you will have to reduce idle speed at the carbs.

We dropped the fuel pump out and rotated the distributor shaft to how the service manual shows. I've got the car running however i still have to have the distributor pushed as far advance as possible. In this position the timing light shows about +7 at idle (700rpm). Would tuning the carbs effect this at all or should I just be happy that it's running again?

I have watched the ztherapy carb tune video twice through. I don't know if he mentioned and I forgot but I would like to clarify turning the screws that adjust the air mixture clockwise (tightening) is more air and counterclockwise (loosening) is less air? Right now when I lift the piston in the carb the rpm's go down. When I put the unisyn on the rpm's go up. Does this mean i'm too lean? If this is true then it feels a lot like the last time I tried to tune. I had to have the jet nozzles 4-5 turns open to get everything to work. This takes me to my next question. I installed a clear wix filter before the fuel pump. When the car is running there is very little fuel flowing through it. After I've turned the car off it will slowly fill back up. Is this normal?

Edited by ElCimino