IGNORED

Gear Shift Lever Boot

24OZ

If I change this, should the gear stick vibrate less? It makes an anoying sound at the moment. The sound goes when I hold the stick. I cant say it vibrates alot but enough to make a high pitch annoying sound.

Thanks.

Hi Daniel,

and thank you for remembering!

The plastic shifter pieces is what I think Victoria British refer to as "Gear Shift Lever Boot".

They have a diagram and they call the cosmetic one you refer too as "Shift Boot Outer". The bit below in their diagram is the "Shift Boot Inner" and then comes the "Gearshift Lever Boot" it looks like a round bushing.

It is only $4.95, I REALLY do hope that it will stop this annoying rattle noise!

Daniel if this still isnt the bit you mean please tell me.

Thank you!!

PS: I agree, I dont think they have got their terminology 100% correct, it is a very misleading title, as it does sound like an outer 'cosmetic' boot.

The plastic pieces live at the sides and the bottom of the shifter itself.They are called shifter bushings.Next is the "doughtnut"shift boot inner.That closes the tranny hole.Next is the shift boot outer.That seals the area between the tranny and the car.Next is the "Leather " cosmetic part you see.You need ALL of these parts new.Don't waste your time or money doing one at a time.When you see what the shifter bushing's do you will go OHHHHH!! now I know why I rattle!! Have fun!! Daniel

Even after all these items where replaced, I still had had a buzz goin on. Turned out the plastic cover over the shift pattern display was loose.

(1st)Bzzzzt(2nd)buzzzzzzzzzzz(3rd)Buuuuuzzzzzzzzzz(4th)Buuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A little super clue finaly solved my problem.

Guys thank you so much for the detailed info.

Daniel, I agree about changing everything in one hit, I have already ordered my outer leather nice thing and now have to order all the other bits. It is so damn cold here that it wont be until another few months before I can bring myself to enter the garage and do the work. At present I could probably hang meat inside my Z and it would stay fresh.

My suspension is another job on the list. I have already

purchased outer tie rod ends and next I have to order a bushing kit, cheapest i have found is for $170.00. Yet again another job for when the weather improves I'd also like to apply POR15 to must of my suspension bits..... = alot of work this SUMMER!! Oh did I mention I'd like to fit new weather stripping too?ROFL

• 10 months later...

This might be a little off-topic, but do you think it would be possible to put the (leather) boot on the auto shifter? Not a nice looking shift plate. I think that all you would bee would be a ring of metal with clips or holes or something to grab the boot?

thx