IGNORED

1973 240z Refreshening Thread

grretc

Great looking project - one of the first things I always do is to pull the radiator and take it to a shop to have it rodded - one less thing to be concerned with - your shop can verify pressure and correct any challenges while they have it - the last one I had rodded and boiled was $40. Z$ well spent.

I also agree with above - change out all our fuel lines - you'll be glad you did! Don't forget the bottom of the carbs while you are at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I spent the last week or so in Orange and contemplated on buying things from MSA since I was there, but ended up purchasing nothing. I recently got back and started to work on the car. First things first! I had to get this thing running or else it was never going to move. I drained the oil out, and put in new oil along with a new filter. Put in some new spark plugs and ran gas directly to the pump. Man am I DUMB. I thought I had it all planned. I put in a new battery and got the terminals switched!!

After I slapped it on I saw some smoke coming from the started and the alternator so I quickly pulled off the negative side and did some research. Nothing besides the smoke happened. I thought I was off the hook, but once I corrected my dumb mistake I tried to start the car. I saw a tiny bit of smoke come from the clamshell the engine turned but nothing. I tried and tried again, but it never started for me. After reading this thread ( http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/electrical-s30/17266-real-dumb-arse.html ) about someone who made the same mistake, I started thinking of reasons as to why the car won't start and I've come up with this list:

1. Carbs are not getting gas. I noticed that the linkage was not going down as far as other su's I have toyed with. In fact they barely go down at all. The rod that goes through the firewall doesn't go deep at all either.

2. Fusible Linkage is fried and needs replacement

3. Voltage Regulator is fried and need replacement

4. Starter is fried and needs replacement

5. Alternator is fried and needs replacement, but I don't see why this would stop the car from starting.

I currently have power to all my lights and the key was not in the ignition when the battery was put on incorrectly so I don't think any of the wires in the cabin got fried. Any idea on what I should look at first? Or any other ideas as to why the car isn't starting? Man this project just got really frustrating.

Hey Travel'n Man,

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to take the radiator to get checked once the engine and transmission are out for cleaning. I need to get a lot of the small projects done before school starts. Anyone have recommendation on how I can clean my fuel lines? Replacing them is $$$ and if I can clean them to put the money somewhere else, I'll try that.