Diff side output bearing question - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Diff side output bearing question

Featured Replies

After replacing all the bushings, struts and springs and putting in a Ron Tyler Diff mount, I finally found out where the famous rear clunk problem is on my 1978 280Z. It is clunking where the axle flanges go into the side of the differential. I can push, pull and rotate the flange and feel the slop while I'm staring at it. My question is; is it usually the side output bearing that goes bad or or the gear teeth on the companion flange to the diff gear itself? Can I replace this bearing with the diff in the car? Most of these rear clunk problems seem to come from other areas such as the diff mount or the U-Joints. Mine are good. Thanks for any info!

Dan Frye

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.