IGNORED

1972 240Z Fuel Filter Question

AWAUDIO

Just replaced my side walled mounted solid white fuel filter with a clear one. The fuel level in the filter is only about half way up. Car runs fine, starts easily, accelerates ok (no popping in the exhaust-knock on wood). Is this normal? With the original solid filter one doesn't know what the level is. New rubber feed/return lines from tank to solid fuel lines. Solid connections on filter hoses with screw clamps. No cracks or leaks from filter to pump. Just an air gap in filter itself. Any thoughts?

Andy

I have a clear fuel filter as well, with the exact specifications of the original white one. The fuel level stays halfway in the filter too. Not sure why, the car runs great and hasn't been a problem since I installed it a year ago.

Chase

Depends. I have a clear fuel filter with an electric pump in my '72. If I look at it in the morning, it will be 2/3rds full. Start the car and take another look and it will have filled up. Since its not leaking any gas, I assume gravity with perhaps a little assistance from tank vacuum is pulling gas back into the tank.

BTW: If you also have electric fuel pump, you should have a filter between it and the tank to prevent crud from taking it out too quickly. I have two because I figure that 40 year old lines are capable of generating their own crud that should be intercepted before hitting the engine.

Chris

Hi All, Thanks for the courteous responses. My 1972 has no electric pump. All lines from tank to engine have been redone. Even with a cleaned tank, I still have to replace filter at least once a year. The filter slowly fills with crud...from where I don't know. So I replace it. This is my 2nd clear filter. I can change it before it gets too bad, which is a good thing. Just noticed today, after a long hard drive, that the fuel level was closer to the top. So it could be a non issue. Am still curious if it's air in the system, or unpurged air from the change. Seems that the fuel pump should evacuate all the air. Another mystery. Thanks again for responding.

Andy

• 3 months later...

hey lads, so i have a new to me 260 and wondering about the best fuel filters to use (currently using 2) with electric inline pump to triple webers. a cam helps as does the header. little else in the engine bay but the basics. also wondering about filters etc for the rocker cover and crankcase venting options. the 280 2+2 will supply extra parts. this thing sounds fantastic. brakes need some help. a friend told me about silicone fluid to help with the aging etc. what on my 280 would work nicely on my 260? upgrades etc. thanks for any thoughts. chris

• 3 years later...
On ‎2012‎-‎03‎-‎31 at 4:52 PM, Jetaway said:

Depends. I have a clear fuel filter with an electric pump in my '72. If I look at it in the morning, it will be 2/3rds full. Start the car and take another look and it will have filled up. Since its not leaking any gas, I assume gravity with perhaps a little assistance from tank vacuum is pulling gas back into the tank.

BTW: If you also have electric fuel pump, you should have a filter between it and the tank to prevent crud from taking it out too quickly. I have two because I figure that 40 year old lines are capable of generating their own crud that should be intercepted before hitting the engine.

Chris

Okay on the left is a picture of the airtex 8012s which i believe has its own filter to its left side as show in the photo. Correct me if i am wrong. On the right is a Brand new fuel filter made in russia for my 1972 240z.

I believe my mechanic left the vehicle on accesories without the engine running for a short time and now the pump is not pushing enough fuel to the carbs. Should i purchase  another pump of this same Brand?? THis is the 3rd one i will buy and shall i place another fuel filter after its metal filter to avoid the pump damaging again? Isnt there a more reliable fuel pump maybe made in Japan? Is this filter okay or should i buy a FRAM fuel filter?

IMG_20160221_131348_hdr.jpg

IMG_20160221_132335.jpg