IGNORED

Fuel Line Issue

barth4567

I let my car set for a couple of weeks with just a little gas in the tank. Long story short. I went to start her up and no go at at all. Plenty of spark so I am looking at a fuel issue. The fuel filter had gas in it so I figured it was plugged.It needed to be replaced so I did. No gas came up into the new filter. The original fuel pump ( from 1972) is still on the car so I figured the fuel pump was bad. I replaced it and still no gas to the filter. I am getting upset now. So I pulled the hose off the intake side of the pump and using a little funnel poured gas and had my wife crank the car over. It worked and the car fired right up.So now I am thinking maybe I have an obstruction between the tank and the filter.Do I need to prime the filter? And if the fuel line is plugged can I blow compressed back towards the tank? I guess I should have not let my car set. Never had an issue like this before, My car is a 1972. Any thoughts on how to correct this dilemma without pulling the tank? Thanks in advance. John

Have you done a visual on the lines back to the tank? Any other fuel pumps along the way? Any crimped lines? Blow air thru the lines and have you wife listen at the fuel neck for bubbles. Did you add gas before starting this latest go 'round? Just askin what should be the obvious.....

Send us your old fuel pump..... nyuck nyuck

Yeah Bruce I put gas in the tank before I tried those different things. There are no other pumps in line on the car. I am going to blow some air back thru fuel line today. I am really thinking there is some crap in the line somewhere. She ran like a top when I parked her. I just did not have very much gas in the tank. I know thats not good. As for the fuel pump I have it out in the garage with some degreaser on it. I am pretty sure it is ok. I will let you know how it goes. And thanks for the great advice. One question for you. What is your opinion on a electric fuel pump? I have heard different opinions about them. I don't even know why I am asking since the original lasted darn near 40 years. Thanks John

Edited by barth4567
Spelling

The electric pump added at the tank was a vapor lock fix, I ditched mine and have had no problems other than the VL when the temp got to 100 degrees last summer. The stock mechanical pump self primes slooooooowley though. Priming might help with a full tank of gas.

Yes thats what it turned out to be. I primed it and away she went. Thanks for the help. This is what this site is so good for. Z-Car people helping each other. I was depressed to see the apparent issues between Mike and Dave. Hope they work it out. I am on a website out here. about fishing and it used to be the greatest place. It has gotten so bad that I do not look there anymore. It is just no fun period. I remember what it was like to have fun, and the good times that went it. Where have they gone? Thanks to both Bruce Palmer and you 5th horseman.

Edited by barth4567