IGNORED

Best Solution For Aluminum Parts

Brubaker

I have my differential cover off and both of my rear brake drums. I am getting ready to take all of my suspension parts to be powder coated. I am wondering what is best for the aluminum pieces - differential and drums.

Is it ok to sand blast these parts or is the aluminum too soft.

What is the best way to clean the aluminum to get it looking shiny and new.

If I can get it shiny and new I can either leave looking this way and clear coat them. What is the best cleat coat for these parts. The drums probably need something that can handle the heat.

If the aluminum is too hard to get shiny and new looking, would you just powder coat them in silver or whatever other color one chooses?

Thanks all.

I'd recommend soda blasting them. I glass beaded aluminum wheels but it leaves them rough. I intended to wet sand and polish them out, that might be tough on drums. You may also want to stop by a HD truck parts store, something like a FleetPride or TruckPro or a truck stop and try some "aluminum brightener" Truckers use it on fuel tanks and aluminum wheels. Keep me posted.

I've tried to glass bead them first to remove any oxidation. It leaves the part mat with no shine.

Then I've used some glass-ball to blast the part to give a good finish. According to the size of the glass balls you can choose the finish but it will not be polished.

Here is how my triple carbs intake came back after the process. It looks to be painted but it is only pure aluminum. finish in person looks great with no areas ignored, quite neat.

For info ball size was 200-300µm.

post-15411-14150817350545_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lazeum

For reference, this is how aluminum parts were after glass bead process, they all came back with the same finish as the intake (except the water pump pulley of course, which was painted)

post-15411-14150817350972_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lazeum