Clutch and transmission question - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Clutch and transmission question

Featured Replies

On my 72 240 the throw out bearing started barking like a dog when i let the clutch out in first gear and seems to be progressively getting worse over the last three days. I am going to change the whole clutch this weekend but I also noticed tonight that the tranny seems to want to grind some what between gears and I have a slight whine in third gear. Could this also be related to the bearing or should I go ahead and start looking for a 5 speed now because my 4 speed is going south and getting ready to leave me walking home

I would think the grinding would be caused by the throw-out not letting the clutch fully release, so you're getting some residual spin, causing the grind.

As for the third-gear whine... I don't think that would be related...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.