IGNORED

No headlights! All other lights are working

Da Flash

Yesterday on the way home I noticed that my headlights weren't working, all the others i.e. sidemarkers, brakes, turn signals, etc. seem to be fine. My first thought was the combo switch but, I had it rebuilt by "Zs-ondabrain" (top notch if I say so myself!!) along with the turn signal switch back in June. So I moved on to the fuses, all were good. I've tried to see if there was ~12dcv at the lights themselves but couldn't get anything. Lastly I checked for 12dcv at the fuses in the fuse box. I got 11.8 dcv on all of the other light fuses but nada at the 2 headlight fuses!!

So obviously the problem is getting power to the fuses/lights but, if this isn't the switch (which I highly doubt, they still look brand new [once again, Thanks Zs-ondabrain!]) what else could it be??

On a side note, not sure just how relevant this is but, I had noticed that my dash voltmeter has been bouncing +-+-+-+- from time to time for a few days before I lost my lights, I chalked it up to a slightly loose alternator belt which I tightened but, it still didn't stop the needle from bouncing from time to time. Before the lights gave out on me they would dim/brighten with the bouncing.

'71 240z

TIA

I rebuilt your switches but did you ever instal one of my headlight harnesses?

I always suggest it because there's still a chance of the switch getting burnt again due to high amps running through it.

Use a test light and test the Red and white power wires on the combo switch. If there is no power at the White red, then you need to find out why.

If power flows thru the switch to the red wire, then you should have power at the 2 right hand fuses when the switch is on.

I'm gonna say you may of burnt the contacts again. So let me know if you have the Headlight Upgrade harness or not.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I check the White/red wire on top of the switch it has 12.4dcv, when I turn the switch on lo and behold I get 0.2dcv on the red wire on top of the switch!! So I guess that it is the switch:mad::mad: Yes I have your upgraded harness BUT, I haven't put it in yet (figured I'd wait until the winter to put it in with some other stuff!). To remedy the problem could I just clean the contacts in the switch and then install the harness??

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Oh yeah, you should drop the "wanna be" at the end of your title, you're the real deal!!

I got the harness installed and cleaned up the contacts in the switch. That did the trick!! While installing the harness I noticed that the driver side connector had a lot of green oxidation on the terminals (probably why there was the extra draw on my light circuit.) so I cleaned all that up and also swapped the fuses to 5amps.

I must say that the light are definitely brighter!!

Edited by Da Flash