IGNORED

Cleaned up the gas tank and removed the evaporation tank

philbar73

Cleaned up the gas tank and removed the evaporation tank

Removed evaporation tank cleaned up the Gas tank and put it back together. I used a tank restore kit from Hirstauto: http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ARK-01 . The outside of the take is painted with Hirsch Miracle paint: http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MIR-QUART

Cleaned, sanded, etched, rinsed and dried a bunch of times. I found 1 hour with a heat gun set on low stuck in the gas inlet dried it well. Followed all the instruction on the gas tank kit, except:

I cleaned the tank with Muriatic acid first to remove the rust (there wasn’t much rust but I fixed it anyway). Use all appropriate safety precisions, this is powerful acid.

Then as soon as I finished coating the inside of the tank and pouring out the extra material I put about 2 or 3 PSI on the gas line fitting to make sure the screen on the pickup was clear. I let the air run for about an hour to make sure.

It took a few hours each day over 4 days to do the job, I must love my Z. A local shop wanted over $300.00 to boil out the tank, paint the outside and coat the inside and I don’t know what material they would use to do the job.

I hope not to look at the gas tank again for many years.

I cleaned, scraped, sanded, etched, cleaned again and miracle pained the bottom of the car that was covered by the gas tank too. This was the last aria on the car that had to be cleaned and painted. It’s almost ready to go. Down to putting in some speakers, the plastic panels in the interior and I have to stop the rugs from moving around.

post-20445-14150816883581_thumb.jpg

post-20445-14150816884309_thumb.jpg

post-20445-1415081688497_thumb.jpg

post-20445-14150816885581_thumb.jpg

post-20445-14150816886219_thumb.jpg

post-20445-14150816886947_thumb.jpg

post-20445-1415081688761_thumb.jpg

Edited by philbar73