IGNORED

How can I verify what year my 280z is?

Healeyalt

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 280z 2+2. The title says its a 1976, but I'm a little confused because even though the back bumper for example, looks like a 1976, the sticker on the inside of the driver's side fender says it has 170 hp which I didn't think came out until 1977 and it also has a 5 sp trany which I didn't think was available until 1977. The numbers on the engine match the numbers on the fender sticker so I think its the original engine.

Anyhow, how can I verify what year it is? (eg, what sticker or are there stamped numbers, etc).

Thanks

Gary

According the the microfiche, if your VIN is 030001-060000, it's a 76. From 060001-110000 would be a 77. (2+2 VINs are different from the 2 seaters which is why Michael VIN doesn't fit that scenario) 5 speeds weren't available until 1977 but are an easy swap to the earlier years. Likely installed by a pervious owner unless your car turns out to be a 77 with 76 bumpers but I've never seen that done. The 170 HP rating began with the 1975 model and didn't change until 1979 w/the 280ZX when they began using a different type of HP rating.

Edited by sblake01

• 2 weeks later...