Bojanglez280

New owner of a 78 coupe

One thing I would recommend, if it hasn't been already, is to replace ALL vacuum lines! Those lines are all brittle and cracked I'm sure of it. It's not that bad looking...Iv'e seen people restore Chevy's that had tons more rust, etc. Keep posting progress. Glad to see another 280 saved!

Goodluck and I'm sure you'll find memorable hours working on your zee! We all know that patience is the key to a worthwhile endeavor. I got my '78z cpe(hunter green) w/ 40k and needed a lot of replacements too, and I'm glad that there are resto websites/stores around CA. It wasn't a walk in the park, but with resolve you can do it.

To update you all, I ordered a new fuel pump this weekend and am awaiting it to come in. If this is the solution to not receiving fuel, I am thinking I may have a running Z by the end of the week!! I am well aware that this will probably turn my eyes to the next necessary fix. I am thinking at the point that the oil pressure switch maybe leaking some oil. I have a small puddle under the car from the 10-15 times I have cranked the engine hoping I had fixed the fuel delivery issue. I had not. I will let you know when the next news develops.

Jamie

Update: I know it has been awhile. Football and baseball seasons sure take up a chunk of time.

Last night I was able to drive the Z around the block a couple of times. It has been a fun journey, I have a long way to go, but it has been a blast. Next step is upgrading the brakes. They work, but are very soft. I have not upgraded them, only did the hard brake tube bridges and rubber hoses and bled the fluids.

Clutch is no longer frozen. Car shifts smooth and runs well for having sat for 6 years. Glad to be back on here! Hope all is well.

Jamie

Hey, just saw your post. I too have a '78 - with the 510 blue. Check out My Albumz of my restore..

We'll have to trade some notes....

Sounds good....I think I am a ways away from being able to start any body work. 1) I've been working on the car off and on for about 2 years and simply wanted to be able to drive it. Now that is possible. 2) I still want to button up a few things, safety wise. 3) I've got my first little one on the way.

Truly just wanting to enjoy driving it for a little while. As always, I need to post some pictures...

Jamie

Hey, just saw your post. I too have a '78 - with the 510 blue. Check out My Albumz of my restore..

We'll have to trade some notes....

The day has finally come....I received the phone call today. The body shop is ready to take in my Z!! Saturday morning, I will be driving it about 3 miles to put it in the shop. At a minimum, we will be replacing the floors. Looking forward to it.

Floors at a minimum. I was going to say rails, too, but I realized on a second look that it's your BUMPER that had pinhole rust, LOL. I'm not that observant.

You're making great progress. Keep it up and we look forward to seeing the results when the shop is done.

I feel all which you're going through, the surprises and emotions of this project. I'm about to take on this same journey. Search my name.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

Where did you purchase the intake/AFM elbows featured in these pictures?

Edited by AdreView

UPDATE: I noticed I have not been on here in a few weeks...It is football season so time gets away from me. I decided to go ahead and do the whole car. Now, I do not mean I am doing a $30k restoration, but we have agreed on a number to remove all rust and replace it, floor pans, rockers, battery tray area...etc. I am also having the body repaired and having a color change done.

I decided to go with the 2012 Nissan KAD Gunmetal Grey color. Here comes my request. I will be putting the Rota RB wheels on the car. I was wandering if anyone out there either has pictures or can photoshop up a picture of this car color with a couple of rim colors. I can not decide between hyberblack, gunmetal, or silver. The progress is coming along great. I stopped by the shop today and couldn't be more excited/anxious. I need to buy wheels soon though so we can see the stance of the car on the ground to know how to approach the suspension and eliminating the hated gap between top of the tires and fenders.

Thanks,

Jamie

Figured everyone may want to see the results. I am very pleased. I need new wheels and tires. Still have a few things to address, but the largest job is complete. And when you can say that about a car restoration less than 3 months before becoming a father....that makes for a happy Z owner!

Hope you all enjoy!

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

Jamie

WOW, I love that color. I might be doing a similar color when I get mine painted. I think the silver with polished lip would look the best with that color. The silver will really pop against that dark grey. Thats just me. Im not a fan of dark centered wheels with polished lips.

With the time delay between my post and yours, I had already come to the decision. I will be getting 15x7 Rota RB wheels in silver. I am simply awaiting a time when me can purchase them comfortably. I am awaiting the birth of my first child, December 21. I since have blown the head gasket due to a coolant flow issue. I will be digging into getting that fixed this Wednesday. Then, if all goes well. I should be on the road.

Looking forward to it.

Jamie

IMG_0374.jpg

I think this picture sums up the main reason why the cowl to firewall seal eventually starts leaking and soaking the floors.. making the floors rust.

There only a tiny area of the cowl under those supports that allows rain water to drain to the sides.

Edited by bartsscooterservice

Has been TOO long since I've posted. However, in some sort I use this as a timeline of my cars journey. 

I ran into a guy at a local restaurant a couple months ago wearing a Datsun hat. I made the comment "only Z guys wear Datsun hats..." to my friend. This guy turns around and says, "it's in the parking lot. Let's go."

In the end, he is the top guy in our local Z car club. One thing lead to another and he hooked me up with someone in the club who could help me out. Had my carpet kit installed, new wiring harness installed, front and rear bumpers mounted, and a few other miscellaneous things. 

I am happy about where this car is at. Still some things I would like to do, but I guess that never stops. 

Thanks for checking in,

Jamie

IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_5758.JPG

IMG_5759.JPG

IMG_5761.JPG