IGNORED

the journey of my fairlady.....

hello everyone,

all being well my 'fairlady' project should be ready early next year,so i thought i'd share my progress with some pictures and comments.

i hope its of interest.

It all started with the dreaded e bay (addictive to say the least).

Quite a rare occurance when a californian 73 240z is listed on uk e bay site, when the car was still state side.

What attracted me the most was the seller was a trader who's shipping costs quoted was 'very' reasonable, especially at that time the exchange rate was two dollars to a pound.

I requested the usual extra pics of rust prone areas, which were provided in abudance.

It still was a massive gamble to bid,but bid i did and i was the only one who did.

10 weeks later the car landed at the docks in the u.k.

Luckily it was a gem, as was the seller (Mark Mitchell aka Motorama). A true gent.

No rust, never been welded/repaired and complete. As described a genuine dry state car.

By the way the pics are from the e bay ad, palm trees like that in the u.k, don't think so!!

I have tons more pics/progress and lots to tell, but work beckons so i'll post more later.

post-14113-14150816406489_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150816406669_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150816406856_thumb.jpg

Edited by rahail240
pics

ok, after an age i finally decided on the colour.

a slightly lighter shade of old english white.

It would have been nice to choose the o.e 904 white, but frankly it's a bit washing machine white for my liking.

Don't be fooled by the flag on the wall, we are still in the u.k.

Gary, the painter, is well into his u.s trucks and muscle cars.

post-14113-141508164087_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150816407365_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150816407797_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150816408024_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150816408239_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150816408475_thumb.jpg

post-14113-14150816413668_thumb.jpgShort block engine spec 3000cc

N42 block.

Acid dipped then pressure cleaned.

Bores ultrasonic tested for suitability for over-boring

Bored to 88mm and honed to suit pistons.

Main oil gallery drilled and plugged both ends (shorter plug at the front to avoid blocking the oil feed to number 1 main)

Block, relief ground to ensure that the forged rods clear the casting left and right.

All threaded holes re tapped (cleaner tap) and lightly countersunk

Block painted dark gunmetal (its nice and should also help heat transfer)

All new freeze plugs fitted

Forged Rods

Farndon “GAF” 133mm forged rods; weight balanced and fitted with new ACL bearings, Caps secured with ARP 2000 series rod bolts.

Forged Pistons

Ross custom deck height pistons to suit 88mm, placing the deck height at zero to allow full use of the gasket and to further reduce potential valve to piston contact

Pistons were specified with enough crown material to accept 2mm valve pockets should they be required. All pistons weight check to within 0.5 grams.

Piston rings

Ross competition ring set, fully gapped by cylinder on both top and 2nd ring

Ring wipe pattern checked on each cylinder.

Piston pins

All weight checked and inspected, secured with snap rings

Main studs

Genuine ARP 190,000 psi main studs fitted

Mains caps

Acid dipped and checked

ACL new mains bearing fitted with 0.25 over bearing to suit reground LD V07 crank

StrokerCrank

V07 LD “stroker” crank fitted, balanced and checked for throw out, mains re ground 0.25 under to ensure best alignment possible.

Oil pick up

Reconditioned unit acid dipped cleaned and checked with new gasket

Sump

Acid dipped and powder coated

Assorted screws and fastners all acid and refrubed.

post-14113-14150816413359_thumb.jpg

In the beginning i was in the mind set for a sort of modern take of the classic s30 shape.

Then came the double edge sword.

I got hooked on the Japanese mag 'nostalgic hero' and really started appreciating the Japanese s30 scene and just as important the history of the cars and what they meant to their owners.

I then built up a good relationship with one of the magazine sellers from Japan and started purchasing items direct from the homeland.

It was then i decided i wanted a real period looking car with a few hidden improvements.