IGNORED

First Post About My New Z

ggunder

I have a mostly restored 1970 Datsun 2000 roadster that just needs paint to make it respectible. It is fun and reliable so I drive it to work once a week or so. Based on that, a coworker agreed to give me his non-running 1972 240Z for free since it would go to a good home. This is a true California car that is very complete except for a hood. It has a lot of miles and a 280Z engine with the original 240Z intake equipment and all the smog stuff. The engine is an ATK rebuilt engine with unknow mileage. It has alloy wheels with the original steel wheels and perfect hubcaps in the back of the car. I recently purchased a hood and front bumper on Craigslist to complete the car.

Since it had been stored for about 15 years and not run in 6 years I changed all the fluids and removed and cleaned the gas tank. It started up after a bit of cranking and runs pretty well. I just replaced the master cylinder, but I already know it does drive a bit. I plan to test it out more, but the ancient tires kind of scare me, so I will be doing low-speed stuff. The 4 speed shifter seems pretty sloppy, but the compression test when fully warmed up seemed okay as follows:

#1 160

#2 160

#3 155

#4 165

#5 170

#6 165

Any advice regarding the restoration would be much appreciated. I don't really have a plan yet, but I much prefer rolling restorations and plan to use the car as much as possible.post-25140-14150816367411_thumb.jpg