IGNORED

Making a mains Power tap near the Battery

TomoHawk

I have been adding wires to the starter motor pos. (+) terminal/bold to run power to a power inverter, and I might add some extra lamps or headlamp relays to the front end, and you can barely get the nut on that starter terminal bolt now, so I think it would be better to have some kind of power distribution point near the battery? Some ideas I thought of are to grab a small underhood fusebox from a small modern car or to add a terminal block to the fender near the alternator. What options are there that would be appropriate for the S30? I'll add that the positive battery clamp has a pigtail on it that is already in use, so I think I would add an eye terminal to go to the distribution point from the battery clamp.

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

I have the cable from the battery to the starter, and then another large cable from the starter to a couple of MaxiFuse blocks, from which I tap my heavier loads. The maxifuses run up to around 100A, as I recall, so there should be no problem running your inverter from there.

There are a few topics about the Maxifuse swap, if you care to read those. My goal was to simplify the number of wires on the starter terminal.

Sarah-

I'm thinking more now, that grabbing a fusebox from the JY will handle all my future needs, even if I 'borrow' the a/c relay slot to operate some headlamps :pirate:

Edited by TomoHawk

Yes, I am currently doing the same project, in part because i want to bypass the dodgy old fusebox. So when i work on component of the electrical system, such as replacing the stereo or doing the upgrade for the headlights i can take the opportunity to run a fresh power and ground wire (I am also installing a ground bus). I looked quite a bit in the JY but the problem i found was that many of the fuse panels were quite large with a number of relays, which would look kinda junky under the hood. there might be a small neat one but i haven't found it yet. So my solution was to kick out the 50$ and get this:

post-18451-14150816402007_thumb.gif

Yes, its a marine box (Blue Sea Systems, available on line but easy enough to get at most marine stores) which is good as its weatherproof and can be put in the engine bay. The pictured one has no cover but the one i bought does. I like the look and its clean, and price seemed reasonable. I intend to run power to it direct from the battery, and locate the ground bus near it. Not sure of exact location yet, but near the battery, and likely on the firewall to facilitate running wires to interior components. Will post pics when done (not real soon, school keeps gettingin way :disappoin