IGNORED

1/4 window corner and door seal adhesive question

cozye

In preparation for installation of my 1/4 windows with new weatherstrip, I've got a couple quick questions.

In reference to the long rubber piece on the front of the that hangs down below the window opening for the door to seal against, should I use adhesive to secure it to the door jamb?

On the upper corner, there is some upper corner rubber pieces, as well as the flat part of that front seal that sits against the top of the window/door jamb. Should I use adhesive on that agains the paint as well?

The reason I'm asking is that the adhesive that came with my weatherstrip kit is the loctite weathestrip adhesive, and specifically says not to use on painted surfaces..

Eric, I haven't done the full seal replacement, but I've R&R'ed one of my quarter windows. There was no adhesive between that lower strip and the paint -- or on the paint anywhere, for that matter. Everything was just screwed in place. No leaks or issues.

Edited by FastWoman

Thanks for the info Sarah. I've rebuilt one of my windows already, the other is still original. I remember that when I removed the windows, the weatherstrip was kind of "stuck" on, specifically with the upper corner, but that could have just been due to heat and age with the door shut on them. If you've removed and replaced yours without tearing up the seals, then perhaps I'm just worrying too much about it.. LOL

Probably. The way the assembly fits into the car body, there's probably little or no chance of any sort of leakage.

If you're still worried about it, you could always use a thin bead of silicone caulk. That shouldn't hurt your paint.