IGNORED

f54 oil filter adapter?

hey, im dropping a f54/p79 in my 77 280, im wondering if im missing a part or if this is for add-on purpose. around the oil filter theres four holes that look like something should be mounted there, i could be wrong though.any ideas? post-11819-14150814889603_thumb.jpg also i read somewhere this combo is 81-83, is that correct?

ps, thats not my nasty looking engine, i found it on google LOL

That is strange, I never noticed that before but looks like all f54 blocks have those bosses drilled and tapped for something that may have been used in a different market in some other nissan variant. If it does not interfere with the oil filter I wouldnt worry about it.

That's likely for the same type of adapter that was in the 810/RWD Maxima on the L24E engines. Not sure about the ZX's but it appears to have been done for clearance on the 810. I points the filter upwards an toward the front of the car. Can't see the adapter in this picture but you can see how the filter angles up between the vacuum cannister and the windshield washer bottle insted of straight out of the block.

post-3797-14150814918499_thumb.jpg

On my diesel block (SC'd petrol stroker project) the same arrangement exist. I'm using the factory remote oil cooler adapter from a 280ZXT. It has an o-ring to seal against the block where the oil filter seal normally rides. The top threaded hole is used to 'locate' the adapter. The center oil hose fitting is tightened (passes through adapter and threads into the block) to secure the adapter tightly cinching up tet o-ring I mentioned. I'm certain that the other threaded bolt holes allow for the same purpose depending on what adapter you're using and where you want the oil filiter to sit.

Edited by ezzzzzzz