IGNORED

1976 280Z Stolen-BOLO- Southern California

chape

Update- the car was found this morning. Stripped. Missing seats, emblems, visors, center console, all wiring harnesses cut plus some gratuitous spray paint. No body damage. Probably totaled. Anyone want to buy it for parts?

I know this is a longshot but...

Last evening, between 4:15 and 7:45 p.m. my 1976 280Z was stolen. It had been parked near 10th and Market, downtown San Diego. The car is bronze with copper interior, excellent condition, California License #3SMZ256. The license frame has Gators on top and Florida on the bottom.

It may already be in Mexico, but if anyone out there sees a car matching this description, please contact the San Diego Police Department at 619-531-2000. I've had the car for 25 years, each of my two kids learned to drive in this car and, needless to say, it has sentimental as well as monetary value.

Please help-

Thanks-

Jim

post-23683-14150813853717_thumb.jpg

Edited by chape
Update - Recovered

So So Sorry! My worst nightmare. But based on where you parked it...(not the best area in SD), weren't you a little worried about it in retrospect? I'm even paranoid about parking mine on the street in front of my own house! Was it on the street or in a structure? I'm not sure about the Mexico theory, US Customs takes photos of every vehicle's license plate that crosses into Mexico. If you have comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance they can do a plate search. Most of the higher dollar cars get taken into Mexico once stolen--not to say your 280 isn't valuable, but I'd speculate it's local punks who are probably into these cars for racing & what not, because they are easy to steal if somone knows the cars and there aren't any theft-deterrent devices like clubs or kill switches. I really hope you find it. I'll be looking for it vigilantly!!

I wouldn't have parked there after 10 pm if I was going out partying in the Gaslamp but 4 in the afternoon seemed reasonably safe...and iit was right across from East Village Tavern's wall of floor to ceiling windows.

But yeah, I was a little worried Had a premonition-usually I leave my condo keys in the console-at the last minute I decided to take them with me.

Thanks for keeping a lookout-I appreciate it.

Jim

• 7 months later...