IGNORED

How do i open up the 240z tail lights

logan1

Hi,

I would like to open the my 240z tail lights and clean them. If anyone could provide some guidance as to how to go about opening the tail lights it would me much appreciated. I just want to make sure that i dont break then in the process of trying to separate the the lens from eh body of the tail light.

Currently the tail lights are off the car and i have removed all the wiring and bulbs out of the back.

thank you

Generally:

There is a "speed nut" type of clip on the inside of the tail-lights. That is a flat piece of spring steel which has a hole and two barbed "teeth" that allow a pin to push through the hole and the pin is then gripped by the teeth.

That clip holds the chromed plastic trim on the outside of the tail-light which is the final "lock" on the tail-light assembly. Be careful removing this clip as it can easily cause you to break the plastic pin flush with the base of the light.

Once you remove this clip, you can proceed with the next step which is removal of the lens from the housing, but note that removing this clip will still NOT free the plastic chrome trim. Don't try to force it off.

Next, using warm water, or as hot as you can get it, soften the glue/caulk that holds the lens onto the housing. This might not be a problem especially if the glue/caulk has dried and easily give up the grip, but it can take a bit of time to soften and then allow you to gently pry the lens out of the fitted groove.

That's it, HIH

E

I used a suggestion given to me by a member on hybridz and I fill up my kitchen sink with hot water, submerge the lens/housings, and let them soak about 15 minutes and then gently pry and pull the lens away from the housing.

thanx for the help guys