IGNORED

Think My ECU is failing? Anyone have one?

280TurboZX

Hi, I have to kick my ECU with my left foot to get it to let my fuel pump cycle up so my car will start. Other wise when I turn the key to ON before cranking,my Fuel pump relay starts clicking and I can hear the pump pulsate.Once I hear the relay Stop clicking and the pump goes full cycle(runs striaght for about 5 second,then stop(pressures up)) I know I can turn the key further and crank/start the car. Sounds like I need another ECU box. I have a 1982 Datsun 280ZX Turbo with Automatic ECU# A18 602 045... Anybody have an extra for sale or give to help out a buddy. Thanks

You maybe right on the money. I tore the cover off and started the car(holding the ECU) I pressed on the circuit board in different spots and wallaah.The car died and the pump relay started clicking, I pressed again in the same spot and the clicking stopped and the pump,pumped up. It then would start. I did this numerous times with the same results. So I removed the ECU and hit the solder gun on all the joints around that area. Reinstalled and tried again. But This time the engine didn't die. NO More Clicky. I sure hope that fixed it... Sure sounds like it did, It also ran smoother So maybe I Killed the gremlin.

I tried those first(re-soldered) and still nothing. SO I turned over the unit and found the curcit board on the back(little-r one) down near the bottom half up about 1 inch or so, Is where I found the loose connections. The wierd thing is my outer Box/covering had that side corner Dented in like it was dropped at one time or another..... Probly the start of the weakend solder joint.

Sounds like you (and a few others here)need to have all the joints checked.

After thinking about this,it is "POSSIBLE"that a impact had an effect on the joints,but 9 out of 10 times a joint fails it's from age and/or vibration.Check them all with a magnifying glass.Failed joints are obvious if you know what to look for.

Edited by Z train