IGNORED

1972 240Z AM/FM Reinstall HELP

vincesf

I am trying to reinstall my 1972 240Z AM/FM radio, and am having difficulty as I do not have sound. I sent the radio out to have checked and the volume control module was replaced. Also I had an ipod adpater installed into the radio which allows my ipod to override the radio when plugged in.

Works great in theory, but I have no sound. I may have not connected the wires to the radio properly.

It is all quite straight forward.

1. Black chord matches the black chord to the antennae.

2. 3 prong connector with interior plugs shaped like a U is plugged in.

3. Red and blue wire that merges to a single plug from the radio is connected to a blue wire near the passenger side. Found it that way when I disconnected the radio, but could be wrong as the radio never worked.

4. Then another 3 wire switch lined up all on top of each other |||, I have plugged in near the above blue wire.

The speaker itself looks good with no tears and my antennae does go up and down from the radio control.

What am I missing?

Also, when taking out the control panel, I noticed two switches not connected to anything. A t-shaped plug as pictured, and another plug that comes out of the fan blower wiring harness with 3 plugs like #4 above. By the way my build date on my '72 is 4/72.

I took pictures below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

vincesf

post-17690-14150813431574_thumb.jpg

post-17690-14150813431943_thumb.jpg

If all connections are tight, check to see if you have power... Push the vol. knob and see if the little blue light lights up behind the AM/FM markings on the faceplate. The radio should also have a inline fuse, check that to see if it is blown. When I got my 1st '72 the radio would not make a sound, i played with the vol knob to loosen 23 years of storage dust off the internals and then glorious mono sound. If your Z seems untouched then the speaker wiring should be intact, but there may be a break in it somewhere. Tap into the speaker wire near the radio with a speaker and see if that makes any difference. Good luck, Todd

Am lurking over this post as the radio didn't wake up in my 72. No blue light and never considered the inline fuse. Let (us) me know what you find out. As a side bar, where did you get your radio modified for the mp3 jack and ball park what did it set you back. Sounds like a great solution for my car as well.

Leonard

The radio was connected properly; however, the speaker was dead. After I replaced the speaker, everything worked great. SoundWave of San Carlos, California fixed the burned-out volume control on the Hitachi AM/FM and installed a 2 foot iPod plug-in chord which comes out of the rear of the radio unit. The chord is flat and disappears nicely, running under the side of the center console, coming out discretely near the driver's seat. Plug in a 3 foot iPod headphone adapater, and it overrides the radio. Very slick, invisible and IT WORKS. Today I listed to an iPod music set with " A Horse With No Name", "Wildfire" and "You're So Vain", it felt like 1972.

Total cost was $220.00 to repair my burned out volume control and install the iPod adapter, $49.00 for a new speaker, and many hours of trying to figure this all out. While this may not satisfy audiophiles, the sound is loud enough to drown-out my bad singing voice, and it looks 100% stock.

Now for the fun part, reinstalling the Heater Control Panel, Heater Cables, and all those little heater control knobs.

Thank you for the responses, it was appreciated.

vincesf

post-17690-14150813433925_thumb.jpg

post-17690-14150813434196_thumb.jpg

Edited by vincesf

I removed the little knobs on the heater control panel to allow more access for the radio and to clean behind the panel. You can keep on all the knobs, but it allowed me not to remove everything for better access.

vincesf

• 4 weeks later...

for those of you who want an mp3 input and don't want to monkey with the radio take a look at these things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-FM-Transmitter-USB-SD-MMC-SLOT-MP3-Player-Remote-PP-/160522604716?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item255fe490ac

I know that the earlier versions did not work very well. I bought one of these for my daughter and it works extremely well and has its own SD mp3 player built in to boot.

The earlier versions did not have a strong enough transmitter so the signal quality was poor. they fixed that. AS a matter of fact adjacent cars may pick up your mp3 signal.

Don