coil connection? - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

coil connection?

Featured Replies

Silly question... I'm quite new to ignitions in general, but I'm swapping my coil because it quite literally melted(due to stripped wire grounding I found recently). The car's a 260 with an l28 swap from a 280zx and it has an MSD blaster 2 that i'm replacing. So, now to the question.

Is the capacitor that's currently connected to the coil really nescessary any more since its no longer running a points based dizzy?

If the distributor is now electronic and no longer a points type then the original points capacitor is redundant.

... well, except for noise suppression. If your tach is like a 280's, a noise suppression cap might be easier on it. I think if it's like the 240's tach, it might not make much difference. You also might get more radio/stereo noise without it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.