IGNORED

BD or MSA

grantf

Check with Les at Classicdatsun.com. Lots of chatter about a new kit he put together. Not sure if MSA has the kit right now either. BD works fine except for door seals. I found Precision door seals on ebay for 42 each with free shipping and of course you could buy Nissan.

I ordered these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-71-72-73-Datsun-240Z-Door-Weatherstrip-Seal-Left-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3a240Q5AQQhashZitem5196499ac3QQitemZ350413757123QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-71-72-73-Datsun-240Z-Door-Weatherstrip-Seal-R-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3a240Q5AQQhashZitem33628f4a14QQitemZ220696889876QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They were PRP (Precision Replacement Products). It is my understanding that these were the same ones that MSA sold before the molds were damaged. It is also my understanding that they are NOT the same as the ones sold by BD. I compared both the BD and the PRP and the profile of the rubber is different and the PRP is softer.

After removing the BD and installing the PRP my doors close almost flush and I imagine that after being closed all winter I will be able to adjust the strikers in a little and they will close flush in the spring. That never would have happened with the BD seals.

I should note that I had no issues with any of the other seals in the BD kit.

John

Guys

I will try to answer all the questions that I have heard. The new kits are done and have started to ship and I believe the 1st 10 kits may have gone out. Maybe only some of them have been done as Randy has had a few issues putting the kits together himself as he recently got hurt. Randy worked with PRP originally on many other projects and when the 240Z kits ran out and they told randy that it would be at least a year before they could do anything Randy went ahead and started his own project. he made all new molds using Nissan original parts as well as a few of the better fitting pieces that were in the PRP kits. As you may understand to make new models and molds with proper corners and profiles takes much time and costs huge money. Randy also worked with me and another shop closer to his home to check fit of all the products. he even made new proper door rubber but at this point I am not sure if the welting strip that pushes on is included at this time and I will check as I am supposed to see my first couple kits tomorrow. As some of you know I have alway sold an aftermarket door rubber that I always use and it is not original but it works extremely well and fits and is easy to install. I was trying to convince Randy to offer the kits in several levels as the price went up to help pay for all the new molds and tooling and the fact that it is all American made and not from somewhere overseas. As of right now the kits would be best purchased from Randy at Vintage Rubber and they will be $525 from him or myself at classic datsun and they will be a little slow to start with as things get finished up. Kits will be availible from now on and new product will follow.

Les

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...