5 speed is in! - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

5 speed is in!

Featured Replies

After rebuilding the tranny I had bought, I finally got it and the "new" diff in the car and was able to take it out for a spin. My '73 feels like a different car. Gears are closer together, it is faster to shift and cruises on the highway. Yahoo! The combo is as follows:

-'82 5 speed

-3.70 diff w/ GM mount above and stock mount below.

-4 speed shifter with 1.5" cut off. (this is about 3/8" longer below the pivot than the '82 shifter). Shifting is now more with the wrist than the arm.

At 75 mph I'm loping along at about 2,800 rpm. This feels like a great upgrade for those of you contemplating it. I'm really looking forward to driving through the canyons.

Edited by tlorber

Yep, IMO that's the set-up the car should have been born with....

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.