IGNORED

rear dogleg drain ideas

khughes

Hi Guys,

yesterday i took the day off to give the 240K a serious wash.

we ended up spraying the underside, inside and engine bay with degreaser, scrubbing as best we could then pressure washing it all.

Bottom came up really well.

for the insides, we ended up washing everything out with a hose, including the inside areas below the rear quarter windows. We noticed this area didn't drain so well (probably why all these cars rust here), and after poking around (both fingers and compressed air), it doesn't seem that this area actually has a direct drainage hole to the outside.

The water seems to eventually (assuming not blocked with gunk) make it's way into the bottom door sill, which does drain through the 4 (well, 3 actually, 1 seems to be covered on the inside) holes under the dogleg. there doesn't appear to be a proper drain hole into the sill however, it must just makes it's way slowly through the joins in the sections.

Does anyone have an insight into this area and how it's drainage could be improved? being a usable window, i can imagine a bit of water ending up down there (though not as bad as me purposefully flooding it). Chances are, my car won't see a lot of rain, however, i would like to do something properly if i can get the opportunity.

My car doesn't have much rust in that area, if it did, i could justify a bit of an exploration trip, wish i had paid a bit more attention when we destroyed the parts car :)

i am also stuck with ideas on how to best prime, seal and paint the inside of the air plenum in front of the windscreen.. can't exactly get a paint gun in there (atleast the Z has a removable top!)

just checked the parts manual i have in pdf, which unfortunately doesn't illistrate it too well, will check the service manual (hard copy) tonight.

Kent

Hi Guys,

i am also stuck with ideas on how to best prime, seal and paint the inside of the air plenum in front of the windscreen.. can't exactly get a paint gun in there (atleast the Z has a removable top!

Kent

I used a degreaser gun and sprayed through as many angles as possible and have ended with great coverage, i had to repeatedly wipe the excess paint off the bottom of the area though as I oversprayed and got it to mist up and cover everything. Big waste of paint but did the job.

Although a better option now exists . . . Do you still want to borrow the doughnut sprayer with the long flexible hose to spray inside the sills and other hard to reach areas off me? I used tectyl from Valvoline which leaves a waxy finish the can't be chipped through.

I can't remember if you were just going to buy your own or not, this would be perfect for the job.

thanks, that would be absolutely fantastic, will pm you.

i picked up a bottle of dynax S50 which comes with a little plastic hose, but it isn't re-usable, so unfortunately no good for priming or painting

i hadn't found anything else, so if yours works well, i will know what to buy for the Z :)