IGNORED

Popping Speedo cables

IC1Lazo

Hello fellas,

Has anyone come across this issue. My 83 280zx has started to pop the speedo cable part that plugs into the speedometer. It has popped three so far. The cable that came with it and the two from my other z's. Actually not that I remember i bought another one from a junkyard, so the count is four. I have had the transmission rebuilt, and replaced the gauge cluster and I still have the issue. Could it had been that the cables where old. I'm going to order a few new ones and hope they hold. Any advice would be appreciated.

What exactly is breaking? If it is the driven gear that goes into the transmission tail shaft then you would be well advised to take the cable and housing out of the car, clean up the cable and relube with a graphite lube. Sounds like the cable is binding up. May not be but would be a good place to start looking. Every old Z out there needs the speedo cable cleaned and lubbed....... Along with the wiper mechanisms (pivots, etc.)