IGNORED

how much oil in carbs

I looked up the oil for the cabs in the Haynes repair manual it stated to use SAE 30 oil however some post here said to use SAE 20 like a 3 in 1 brand. Which should I go with and how much does it need. What happens if you overfill it- would that lead to head in hands regret?

Don't worry about over filling it. Any excess will run down the shaft and be consumed during combustion. If you look in the top of the bell housing and down the shaft you will see the top of the piston shaft. If not, move the piston with your finger, you will see the top of the piston shaft move up the bell housing shaft. You only need to fill it to the top of the piston shaft.

Back in the day I used 30wt. I now use ATF - only because I had a quart that I had no other use for. Anything in a 10 to 30w range will work. Just make sure both cylinders are filled with the same fluid at the same height. This way they will move/react the same.

Filling the inner tube to within a half inch of the top will be about right. Any more than that the puck on the end of the dipstick will just push it over the top and into the engine to be burnt.

We've had calls from some asking why their carbs go thru so much oil...... Come to find out they've been filling clear to the threads in the top of the dome which allows any oil above the tube to disappear into the engine. Don't do that!! Doesn't do any real harm but that quart of ATF wont last 25 years like mine has.......

Filling the inner tube to within a half inch of the top will be about right. Any more than that the puck on the end of the dipstick will just push it over the top and into the engine to be burnt.

We've had calls from some asking why their carbs go thru so much oil...... Come to find out they've been filling clear to the threads in the top of the dome which allows any oil above the tube to disappear into the engine. Don't do that!! Doesn't do any real harm but that quart of ATF wont last 25 years like mine has.......

Bruce,

I will actually be calling your place tomorrow for a manifold hose. The SAE 30 weight is no problem then, what is the best way to go, what have you used?

Thanks

Glenn

Model airplane shops are your friend when sourcing the oddball tools for everything.

For under a buck, you can get a graduated syringe - which will let you get your carb oil perfect matching volumes every time with no mess..

This is not rocket science people. If the tube has oil for the puck to run up and down in, fine. If it's dry, add some oil....... It's just world's crudest shock absorber so treat it as such by drooling some oil in there every luner eclipse or so and it should be fine.

I add oil maybe twice a year and I drive the car daily.

I have been pulling with a little cheapy plastic pipette out of a quart of ATf that is so old the can is cardboard.