IGNORED

'78 280z door locks worn out

mtndude

The pot metal casing (notch) on both driver and passenger door lock cylinders have worn so much that the throw of the lever is not enough to unlock the doors anymore. Can these be rebuilt or replaced? Would like to keep the same key as the ignition. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

John

They can be replaced, and you can have them keyed to match the ignition.

Then "just install them".

There is also a seal that goes behind the lock that you might consider ordering with the locks. NOS Lock sets are insanely expensive to buy.

You could take them from a parts car (and re-key them), or I'm sure somebody makes an aftermarket replacement.

This guy claims his will fit:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/DATSUN-510-240Z-260Z-280Z-1200-DOOR-LOCKS-WITH-KEYS-be_W0QQitemZ310205857981QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4839b5c0bd

Edited by fiveleaf

The pot metal casing (notch) on both driver and passenger door lock cylinders have worn so much that the throw of the lever is not enough to unlock the doors anymore. Can these be rebuilt or replaced? Would like to keep the same key as the ignition. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

John

Try using the search feature. I think this exact topic was discussed a few weeks ago.

• 2 months later...

I just got a "new" driver's-side lock for my 280Z from the dealer.

I watched the parts guy look it up on the computer when I ordered it a week ago, and the number he wrote down matched the one I found on my microfiche CD, for my model and year. What I found in the bag was a lock for a 240Z.It had the short arm with the plastic keeper, and the early key.

Is that correct?

If it really is the proper lock for a 280Z, and the old arm fits, I think I can live with having 2 keys for the car if absolutely necessary, but would rather keep the car working as it originally was supposed to.

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

The '240Z' lock works, even though it's not the exact same thing that was on the car.

I decided to try it for fun to see what difference there was, and there isn't any accept the key. I just took the arm off the old lock, put it on the new lock, then the E-clip, and installed the lock on the door. It worked great. Too bad the key is different.

Edited by TomoHawk

The key that came with the lock has a different pattern of slots on the two checks. It uses a different key blank. I was told before the the locksmith that you can't change that.

Edited by TomoHawk

That is true if the internals are different. Generally, when I had them done I buy a used lock but the same type that was on the car. The locksmith I used (and still use) would essentially rebuild the lock while making it match the existing key.