IGNORED

280Z won't start when it rains

aimillie

This is a mystery to me...

Last night it rained heavily, this morning, my 280Z would not start. Once the sun comes out and "it" dries... it starts right up like a charm. This is the 2nd time in a month this happens. Just purchased my car 3 months ago, it didn't mind the rain until recently.

What could be the problem? any help/suggestion it appreciated. Thank you

Check your connectors (probably the ones on top of engine) especially the connections with rubber boots. The rubber is most likely either cracked or gone and the rainwater is finding its way into the boot.

Also check the dizzy cap and wires.

On a different car, but hairline crack in cap would allow water to wick inside, pull cap, check for moisture inside.

Also wet faulty wires would ground out to car and not deliver full spark to plugs.

Easiest check was to wait for night and pop hood when car was running (wait for dryer conditions). Look for spark arcing to engine or other ground points. If you're not seeing anything when it's dry, spray with water bottle to duplicate the wet conditions.