IGNORED

Blown fusible link...voltage regulator...battery?

gogriz91

Bought a new battery because I knew the old one was bad, tester at parts store confirmed it. Went out two days later in 30 degree weather to start and sure enough, started running the battery down trying to get the car to run, it would turn over but is notoriously cold blooded. Put the charger on it, set the amp output to 50 and continued the process. Every 2-3 cranks I would have to re-clip the clip from the battery charger on the terminals because they're just puny. After the fourth or fifth "jiggle the clips", no power. No power to run anything, no electric gas pump, lights, anything. Is it possible I arced it off the quarter panel? If so, do I only need to replace the fusible link? Don't need a lecture about cold weather ops, I knew it would be an uphill battle when I went out the door, I just need to know what else besides the fusible link could be the culprit, the electrical system is stock except for zsondabrain headlight wiring, zmanofwashington alternator with internal voltage regulator, aftermarket Motorsports fuse box and the L-28 starter/solenoid. Any home grown testing I can do to isolate the problem if it isn't the link? Thanks in advance, especially to those folks who do take their early Zs out in freezing weather.

Arched my new battery with jumper cables once on the fender like you described and it shorted out. Would not charge up at the auto parts store. It also, like the dead battery did as well, had the effect of frying out the fuesible link to the voltage regulator. Another new battery and fues link and I was good to go.

Edited by WingZr0

Also keep an eye on it for about 15 or 20 minutes first before driving it, giving it a a few got revs too while you wait. Watch for white smoke and leave the covers off. When the link starts to go it has the tendency to catch fire and melt the link covers. If starts to smoke shut it off. So leave the hood open and let it run for awhile just to be sure it's safe. Wouldn't hurt to keep some extra fuse links in the glove box either :) .

Edited by WingZr0