How to remove the radio? - Exhaust - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

How to remove the radio?

Featured Replies

Hi -- Do I need to remove the entire dashboard to take the stereo out? I've got two repair and restoration manuals, but neither are specific enough. My '72 240 came with a cassette deck that must be 25 years old, and doesn't work.

I removed all visable screws and knobs from the face of the center area around and above the stereo, and have also incidentally removed the center console in order to replace the ashtray and secure a wobbly choke lever.

How is the radio / fan cluster area anchored?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! -- Thanks so much!

The stock radio was bolted into the center dash supports. However and aftermarket radio like yours most likely is not.

I've had good luck removing radios by first removing the center console. Then the heater control panel has to come out by detaching the cables from the heater box and the fan switch wire harness (reattaching the cables is a bit of a chore, hey, I didn't say it would be easy!). BE CAREFUL with the heater control panel, they are VERY fragile and hard to replace!

No need to remove the whole dash, although it would give you more working room!

Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.