CA vs. Federal - Fuel Injection - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

CA vs. Federal

Featured Replies

So my car (1975 280Z) is a California car, with presumably a CA ECU. It looks like the ECU may be flaky, so if I have to replace it, what are the +/- of going to the federal?

1. I live in a land of no inspection, so I'm not worried about that.

2. Are they plug and play interchangeable?

3. Is there any functional difference?

4. Would there be any maintenance benefits (i.e. not having to worry about CA only dodads)?

Geof

I am running a 76 CA car on a 76 Federal Box right now, they will plug in and work. Federal is slightly richer from what I can see.

Most of the 'CA Doodads' are operated independently of the ECU anyway. The 75 Federal Cars were Non-Catalyst.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.