Carb Question.... - Open Chit Chat - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Carb Question....

Featured Replies

Hello all,

Here's the scenario....

Switched carbs from the flat-tops to 3 screw rounds, the front in running rich no matter what adjustment is made.

Here's the question:

Is it fair to say that I could take another 3 screw, adjust it the same exactly idle/mixture wise, use the same needle, and switch 'em? (just the front one) In my head, which is dangerous, the car should just start up and run as if the other carb was still there. And hopefully eliminate the rich mixture from the front problem?

I have adjusted everything on the darn thing and when I lift up on the front piston, the smoke clears.

Ideas / advice?

Thanks, have a great day!

Brian

Have you checked to make sure the nozzle below the carb is not stuck open such that it would be in a choke-on state? I know these can bind open sometimes. Is the front float adjusted correctly?

There's not a lot that can go wrong with the SUs but if you have another one sitting around, give it a shot (swapping the front one out).

  • Author

Yes, I've checked the choke and the float level. Out of curiousity, what else could attribute to this?

Brian

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.