IGNORED

Z in the stable

tlorber

Well, after searching for a while I finally picked up a '73 240. The body is about as unmolsted as I have seen-the sound of metal everywhere you tap, and the interior is in great shape. Even the friggin clock works. It has a N42 block w/N47 head but the original 4 speed. I have short term plans to dial it in, and then long term plans for mild building. So here are my questions:

1) Tach is off-it shows much higher than actual rpms. Can I remove the tach from the rear or does the dash have to come off?

2) Any trick to bleeding the brakes, or can I just drain the lines?

3) (Longer term) Can I just put a P79 on the existing block with flat top pistons, or is the the F54 block significantly different?

Thanks for any input.

1) It comes out through the front of the dash. One screw in the top of the bezel, and one underneath and maybe 6 or 7 inches farther towards the front of the car.

4) You definitely should invest in a Nissan factory service manual. You can find one on Amazon or Ebay -- both used, of course.

Thanks. Is the Nissan manual better than a Haynes book?

Also, after closer inspection, the block IS a F54, with a N47 head. Based upon what I've read, I'm not sure how that works without super high compression unless the pistons have been swapped for dished. I know the compression is not that high based upon the way it drove home.

The car has a stock exhaust mani and a dinky (appx 1.5") pipe to the rear.

Glad to have a Z finally.