IGNORED

New paint ... Finally!!!

mlaw7

I bought my '78 burgundy 280Z coupe in August 2008 after she'd been sitting for about 11 years. Sound familiar??

Since then I've had the engine rebuilt (with OEM Nissan injectors - a DEFINITE improvement over after-market injectors, but that's for another time and another forum), new clutch, brakes, struts, front end, wheel bearings, black Energy Suspension bushing kit, differential, 5-speed transmission and starter. Also had the gas tank cleaned and coated after super fine silt that had accumulated in the tank ruined the fuel pump, a few fuel filters and the injectors.

There were also numerous electrical issues, mainly due to corrosion from 11 years of neglect.

Amazingly though, the body is in great shape. Only a couple of very small dents and relatively little rust. Other than a cracked dash, the interior is really quite clean. The clock, antenna and OEM Hitachi radio even work.

But as you can see in the attached photos, the paint is an eyesore!

With a few exceptions, I've been driving her almost daily since January and daily dreaming of the time when I could get her repainted and back to her original glory.

Well that time has come!

I dropped her off at the paint shop this afternoon. Rust spots and dents will be fixed, the after-market sunroof replaced with a solid panel and body seams redone.

She's going to be repainted in her original 611 burgundy with all new weatherstripping, POR-15 on the floorboards and chassis, soundproofing and carpet. New drivers side front bumper trim and straight rear bumper bar.

I'll post more pics as the project progresses.

There is definitely something special about a Z car!

post-15707-1415080886171_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808862431_thumb.jpg

post-15707-1415080886304_thumb.jpg

post-15707-1415080886365_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808864271_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808864875_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808865465_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808866071_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808866691_thumb.jpg

Good question.

At first I didn't like that trim at all, but it really has grown on me over the last year or so. At this point I'm inclined to clean them up and keep 'em.

What I would like to do is find two shorter rear pieces of the side moulding that only go back to the front of the rear wheel well.

That's a beautiful '77 you've got there!

mlaw7, I live in Spring and my 78 coupe is finishing up with it's paint job too. I have a Roof Clip in storage in you are interested. I'll trade you for a Beer, or something else (any goodies that you might have). My Z is 99.99% complete and with shiney blue paint too! (Code 510). I have tons of parts that I will soon be storing/parting with. email me if you are interested.

Good question.

At first I didn't like that trim at all, but it really has grown on me over the last year or so. At this point I'm inclined to clean them up and keep 'em.

What I would like to do is find two shorter rear pieces of the side moulding that only go back to the front of the rear wheel well.

That's a beautiful '77 you've got there!

I've thought the same thing, I may clean them up and paint them out black when I finally do my paint job.

Thanks for the compliment btw, that is one of the photo's that were on the Ebay ad from which I bought the car. Unfortunately, photos are deceiving and in my case, very much so :)

As I've said many times in the past about my Z, its nothing a few hundred hours and $6-7 K wont fix :)

FWIW: On a former Z that I owned I had the same moulding that yours seems to have. I found that they seemed to always stay dirty and hold water - which encouraged rust. Dealers were famous for upselling these cars by placing add-ons such as the riveted side moulding and rear louvers. They were ok -at the time. When I took my Z into the paint shop, I had all of the holes welded shut and went with a real low profile 5/8" Band Moulding that was painted to match the car. It is very similar to what is currently placed on a Infiniti G Series sedan. I purchased the moulding at TASCO Auto Color for $25.00. I would like to see your Z when it is complete. 611 Burgundy is pretty rare. Perhaps a Photoshoot will be in order this spring??!!

Andrew

Keep us posted. I notice you have the same trim down low on the sides that I do. Are you planning on leaving that on or taking it off and filling the holes before painting?

After several weeks of debating this, I've decided to leave the trim off and fill in the holes. The side molding is going back on but the rear piece is being cut to 12"' so that it only extends to middle of the rear wheel well. A cleaner look IMO.

This weekend I pulled out the entire interior and started cleaning everything. It's amazing how much better everything looks and smells without 30 years of dust, mildew, etc.

Here are a few photos from last Friday and this afternoon at the paint & body shop ...

post-15707-14150808949984_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808950814_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808951401_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808952143_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808952763_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808953438_thumb.jpg

post-15707-1415080895409_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808954703_thumb.jpg

post-15707-14150808955298_thumb.jpg

So you're going back with the aluminum channel moulding? or an adhesive type? The side moulding that I previously mentioned is held on with 3M tape and is paintable - I couldn't bear drilling holes in her again!! Anyway your pics are nice can't wait to see in person. I hope I can get mine all back together so we can take pics.

Andrew

Edited by ZCurves
added text

Yep.

The (non) original aluminum channel molding's going back on, so we'll just use the existing rivet holes. Only change will be to fill in the holes for the longer rear piece and maybe drill 1-2 holes on each side for the shorter pieces.

How's your '78 coming along?

Pics will be great!