IGNORED

Strange clicking in rear wheel area

jgkurz

Hi All,

I'm reaching out to the masses for help with an perplexing problem on my 77 280Z with Modern Motorsports 240sx rear disk and 280ZX CV conversion kits. Here's the issue. Recently my left rear wheel is making a clicking when I take off from a stop. This happens intermittently and does not matter whether I'm going forward or in reverse. I only hear the clicking on the initial movement of the car. Nothing is heard after I get rolling. I have checked the CV shaft bolts, lug nuts, wheel bearing play and break shoe clips but everything is perfect. The clicking SEEMS like it is near the wheel and not in the differential area. It occurs whether it's warm or cold. I don't think it's a wheel bearing since the noise is not the typical growl and seems more external. Can a bad wheel bearing make a clicking noise?? Applying the brakes or ebrake does not affect the noise in any way. It almost sounds like an outer CV shaft joint but I hate take it out unless I'm sure.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

John

Have you checked for a rock or a screw or some other object in the tire tread?

That may seem too obvious, but you'd be surprised how often you DO hear it at low speeds, only to NOT hear it at higher speeds.

Worth a check.

E

The tread is clean. I wish it was that easy..... :ermm:

If your car is lowered it could be a bind caused by the slightly longer axles.

Or your hub has loosened up on the stub axle.

A loose stub axle nut might be the cause. I think I'm going to take in the CV shaft in to be checked then verify the the nut is tight. Thanks for the idea.