IGNORED

My front end and brakes, completed (with photos)

MEZZZ

After a long month of on and off work, I was able to get my car off the jackstands yesterday and take it for a test drive. My front end was shot when I got the car and it was long overdue for some work. I took my time and did things by the book as far as torques specs, etc and could not have done it without this site. I've only taken a wheel off to change a flat and at times thought I had bitten off more than I could chew.

I removed the front suspension, cleaned, stripped and painted everything. I replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings and poly bushings. I used the ball and socket T/C bushings from MSA. I put on Tokico Illuminas with Eibach springs. While I was in there, I replaced the rotors and did the Toyota S12 cailper upgrade and put on new stainless brake lines. I also have a brand new set of 15" Rewinds with Toyo Proxes 225/50/15's.

To be honest, I was a bit nervous about getting in it and driving away since I have never done this type of work before. I have spent many, many hours reading posts on here, going through the FSM and Humbles book.

I am thrilled to report that there were no wheels flying off the car. The brakes stopped when I hit the pedal and there were no weird grinding noises, thumps or any other strange noises coming from the front end!

I have a few questions though as I am still not thrilled with the handling, although it feels MUCH better, I can actually turn the wheel with one hand. I know I need to have an alignment performed, I tried to adjust the toe in by sight but I know it still needs to be tweaked. I have the Illuminas set at 1 right now. I still dont feel overly confident whipping this car into a curve as it still doesnt feel "tight" for lack of a better word.

My questions are subjective of course without any of you driving the car. Would a heavier sway bar address some of this, maybe adjusting the Illuminas to a higher setting? How about the strut tower braces front and or rear? I have yet to do the rear end, would this matter?

I have attached some photos, as you can see the front is dropped but the rear still needs to be done. You can also catch a glimpse of the bumper conversion and air dam I did before I started the front end, as well as the Pacesetter exhaust. Obviously, the car still has quite a way to go.

post-14932-14150808428248_thumb.jpg

post-14932-1415080842853_thumb.jpg

post-14932-14150808428745_thumb.jpg

post-14932-14150808428972_thumb.jpg

post-14932-14150808429189_thumb.jpg

Edited by MEZZZ

I have yet to do the rear end, would this matter?
Absolutely. A firm and tight front end with worn, soft rear suspension will handle horribly. Do the rear before you make any further decisions.

Good job on what you've done so far!

Mark -

Excellent pictures, there is nothing better than accomplishing that type of job yourself! Sometimes it's hard to find a stoping place. Now, it looks like you are going to tackle your rear........check out the Ron Tyler diff mount. I had my car out today and hitting the gearbox nice and hard.......not one CLUNK.....just nice firm shifts. If you are going to be under your car you may want to check that mount.

You also may want to get your wheel wells cleaned up and maybe tape them off and get them spray them with some black. It would really dress up those wheel wheels and make them stand out even more - or you could undercoat them with some rubberized undercoating. Just make sure it is super clean, degreased and dry before you spray...........

Absolutely. A firm and tight front end with worn, soft rear suspension will handle horribly. Do the rear before you make any further decisions.

Good job on what you've done so far!

Arne, I knew I could count on your well valued advice, thanks!

I should have stated that I intend for this to be mainly a weekend driver. I dont want to have to wear a kidney belt with this, I want a decent ride but decent handling as well. That is the main reason I held off on the bigger sway and strut bars.

I will get going on the rear end in the next couple weeks. I will hold off on getting the alignment until that part is finished. While I am back there, I plan on dropping the rear end, cleaning, stripping and painting everything, wrestling with the dreaded spindle pins. I also need to drop the tank to remove the shock bumper mount so I will clean that up as well while I have it out. I also plan on rebuilding the rear brakes while I am at it.

Thanks again.

Edited by MEZZZ

Mark -

Excellent pictures' date=' there is nothing better than accomplishing that type of job yourself! Sometimes it's hard to find a stoping place. Now, it looks like you are going to tackle your rear........check out the Ron Tyler diff mount. I had my car out today and hitting the gearbox nice and hard.......not one CLUNK.....just nice firm shifts. If you are going to be under your car you may want to check that mount.

You also may want to get your wheel wells cleaned up and maybe tape them off and get them spray them with some black. It would really dress up those wheel wheels and make them stand out even more - or you could undercoat them with some rubberized undercoating. Just make sure it is super clean, degreased and dry before you spray...........[/quote']

Thanks Mitchell, you are right, it is very rewarding! My wife told me I should have just gone out and bought a nice car but where is the reward in that? I may have to change my tag line soon if I keep it up :)

As far as the diff mount goes, is that the one I have read about from a user over at Hybrid? I remember reading it goes up and over instead of under and eliminates the clunk. I dont have a clunk unless I am getting on it but figure I should do that upgrade.

I will also clean up the wheel wells. I thought about doing that before putting it back togther. Unfortunately, I opened up a couple spots around the battery tray that need to be cut out so I put that idea on hold.

Do you know if the dry ice trick works on the undercoating? I used it on the floors of the interior and it was wonderful, the stuff froze and chipped right off. Thanks for the compliment.