IGNORED

A new start to an old feeling

TheZman

When I was young and stupid I owned a one owner 1983 datsun 280zx turbo. It was a beautiful one of a kind car. It made me feel so good. I was known to everyone. People I didn't know knew me. I felt like the highschool football player. It was a great feeling. I would get stopped everywhere I went by strangers, friends, and even cops. But because of rushing to walmart for Christmas pictures I took a wrong turn ending up over a curb and a tree stump

ending the life of the car I loved. It's been 9 years since that day and I've had other car but nothing compared to a Z car. Well as of today I have just purchased a 1978 Datsun 280z. It's not the car mine was but it will be better than my car was. I already have that feeling like I use to have. This time around will be different. I'm gonna join a local Z club and enjoy this car for many years to come. Especially now that I am older and wiser. I am very excited about joining this club and look forward to chatting with all of my fellow Z owners.

The sunroof is aftermarket (even if it was dealer installed), the wheels and the front spoiler as well. Everything else in the pics appears to be stock except for that nifty steering wheel cover. Don't waste your money on a carfax. I don't think they go back past 1981 anyway. Best way to tell is to post lots-o-pics and let the members tell you what's what. Check the plate in the engine compartment to see if the engine number matches. Not that it matters much on a car of this late vintage but still nice to know if it's original.

Other things that were often swapped are trannys and diffs. The 1978 came stock with either a 5 speed or Auto. If it came with a 5 speed it came with a 3.54 R200 diff and a 3.54 R180 with the Auto. You can tell for certain what diff and gear ratio is in the rear end by looking at the shape of the diff cover and the stamping on the ring gear. The R200 diff cover has round shape while the R180 is more square. Note that there is also an external process by which you can determine gear ration that entails by turning a wheel and counting the number of times the driveshaft turns. I don't remember the specific but a search for "determining diff ratio" should produce some results.

thanks for the info. yeah i figured the sunroof was aftermarket but didn't realize the front spoiler was too. could the wheels and front spoiler have been dealer installed as well?

it's a 5 speed with 104,500 miles on it. i want to change the bumpers to 240z bumpers. are they direct bolt ons?