IGNORED

Genuine Barn Find! Help/Advice required.

mattbibbey

Not likely. Pull the drain plug on the bottom of the tank and inspect the fuel that comes out. Look for red fluid (rust), particles, water (it'll sink to the bottom of the inspection bowl, that you use) You can also pull the sending unit and visually inspect it that way.

If you find that the tank is full of rust or similar issues, then pull it and use the search button here at CZCC to find many write ups on cleaning and repairing your existing tank. Or look around the classifieds (here, Craigslist, ebay) for another one.

Disconnect all the fuel lines, wrap one end of each line with a shop rag and tape it off before you blow out the lines with a compressor. This will stop the fuel from flying all over and also allow you to see what was in the lines, before you decide what to do with them. These are small, effortless things that you can do that will likely save you more time and money in the future.

Dave

Not likely. Pull the drain plug on the bottom of the tank and inspect the fuel that comes out. Look for red fluid (rust), particles, water (it'll sink to the bottom of the inspection bowl, that you use) You can also pull the sending unit and visually inspect it that way.

Dave

I have put a cheesecloth or an old t-shirt in a funnel and drain into the funnel and then into your container to catch your old fuel. Then you can see exactly what is coming out of your tank.........hopefully nothing! I keep a beer bong in my garage for that purpose.ROFL

SO! I've got it back to my house. Took me and a friend nearly 2hrs just to get the rear right brake drum off which was siezed. Honestly, I was counting my lucky stars that that was the only one that was siezed! haha. There's a lot more rust than I had first thought but i've set myself a budget (let me know if you think I'm being realistic) of around £6500, that's around $10600. I have no intention of selling the car so it doesn't bother me if I spend more on it than it will ultimately be worth!.

Can't get the boot/ tail gate open.

Ok guys, I've moved the thread to the MISC section of the car forums. It is tagged with:

restoration, barn find, rust bucket, datsun, 240Z.

Hope you can find it and have enough time to still comment!

Thanks a lot everyone.

Matt