IGNORED

1981 2+2 GL with 40,000 Miles

jmkunert

I am looking at a 1981 2+2 with 40,000 miles. The original owner says the ar was rust proofed. Yet he replaced both front fenders because of rust. I'm not impressed with the over look of a car with only 40,000 miles on it. Yes it is 28 years old. Could the odomiter have been disconectted? Anything I should look at? He is asking $7,000. I'm thinking more like $5,000. Thanks!

no the mileage reset every 100k miles because not geared to go past 99,999.9 miles. in all honesty even for 5 k that car need to be in great shape. you should be able to get a pretty nice z for that much

dont know how far this is from you... but if your willing to spend 5k on the car i saw than you need to get this car. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1162315086.html probably could go down in price just a little but depends on how it looks in person and the overall condition.

Edited by overdrivex

I did look at the odomiter. It said 040015. So it is not the case of resetting at 99,999. Not a lot of z's in the Detroit area. I am not sure if I should wait it out for another one. I am looking for a gen 2, 1979 to 1983 2+2. Thanks!

Edited by jmkunert

An 81 would have a 6 digit odometer which would register beyond 100K. If the condition of the car doesn't appear to match the odometer reading that likely the cable was disconnected or the gauge cluster has been changed.

Not really, the cable just unscrews from the back of the gauge. As far as the fenders, look underneath where they bolt on for signs of the being changed. As far as price, I wouldn't be a good source of info because I don't think any ZX, especially a 2+2 is worth 7K, or even 5K. except possibly a turbo model, a 10th anniversary model or a ZXR. Maybe $2500 max if the condition warrants. That's JMO.

Edited by sblake01

not sure how you would check the od but if your pretty set on getting it than should look under the battery /battery area, rails. check undercarriage rails and floorboards, pop the rear hatch and check that area. if the paint isnt fresh than any painted over rust might have started showing through. even the guys posting is conflicting. if the dealership was guaranteeing the rust profing why did he have to take it to his friends shop to get the quarter panels repaired.

i have to agree with stephen on this. 5k is way to much. from the picture i saw that z not worth 5k.

Edited by overdrivex

Well, the car dealer is long out of business. Not sure about the the rust proofer. I googled the company and came up with a parts supplier across the state. Maybe he got his story mixed up. If I look at it again I will ask to see the paper work.

well rust proofing probably was just undercoat spray from dealer. if the original owner had the car painted with a high gloss paint that doesnt make it rust proof. so the paper work really is a mute point. i guess the paper work could catch him in a lie. ask him if thats the paint scheme that the car was painted in 1982. the paper work/ receipt should reflect a 2 tone paint job especially if its from the dealer. the best thing you can do is just check for rust pron areas. i highly doubt hes gonna sell the car for 7k and he be really dumb to not take 5k for the car. if it was me and even if i really really want this car id have a hard time coughing up 3k for it. datsun arnt too common in houston texas too. a guy in houston couldnt sell his for 1500 and it looked to be in nice condition

Wanting $7k and getting it are two different things. Not that their prices are correct, but look up Kelly Blue Book and try to use their value to bring this guy closer to reality. He sees a silk purse, full of coin, where there isn't one.

It sounds like he wants someone to pay $8K for a fairly low mileage drivetrain in a rusty, rolling container...not Me! One could get a completly and properly rebuilt drivetrain much cheeper.

Keep looking, something better will come along.

Will