IGNORED

REPAIR dented lip-upper strut housing

PATZ

Hello ALL!

I accidentally dented a portion of the lip of the original strut housing ( bout an inch, along with a couple of threads) such that the non-threaded portion of the upper gland nut (the one needing a 55mm wrench?) wont even go inside the strut housing, which is to say that i obviously cant screw in the gland nut!

I just bought new kyb inserts and dont want to have to order a new strut (GR-2) from abroad (none available here). I plan on taking this to the neighborhood machine shop. Any ideas on how the machine shop SHOULD go about this (the CORRECT way)? And any ideas on how the machine shop COULD go about it (the less correct way) if they lacked the proper tools? I need this info so i can decide if the machine shop i go too has the right tools, or at least know what their doing. I plan to go tom. THANKS Guys!

patrick

The incorrect way:

1. Find a 12 or 14mm bolt with 1.5p threads.

2. Clamp the strut tube horizontally in a vice with the dented part down.

3. Using a Oxy/Acetalyn/Propane torch, heat the damaged are area until its a dull red.

4. Take the bolt and slip the threads into the damaged are.

5. Using a hammer, tap on the side of the bolt and carefully put the proper curve back into the threaded top of the strut. Use a gland nut to check.

6. Repeat steps 3 thru 5 until you get it fixed.

Another approach...... When I had the Muffler shop - I'd simply slip the largest A/K (aluminum killed) exhaust pipe that would fit - into the damaged strut - usually 1 7/8's inch.... then using the pipe expanding die's on the Pipe Bender - I'd heat the strut then expand the exhaust pipe inside the strut - until the strut was round again.

The steel in the strut and the threads cut into it were far harder even when warmed up - than the A/K pipe, so no damage to the thread if one was careful. Taking the expanded exhaust pipe back out of the strut, was simply a matter of cutting a slot in the A/K pipe. First time I did this, I used a cutting torch to cut the slot when I couldn't get the exhaust pipe back out of the strut {standard stuff for a muffler shop}... second time I cut the slot before expanding it in the strut.... da....

FWIW

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck